Frequently Asked Questions and Should Ask Questions
BEFORE YOUR SESSION QUESTIONS
Q: Do your services include any pre-planning consultations?
- Yes. This is an essential part of your experience with Kara Jovag Photography. Pre-planning helps me to know exactly what and why you want these portraits created. Examples of things that could be included in the pre-planning are discussing clothing, props, and location of the session, where you want your images displayed and who they are for. A consultation could be a time that you tell the photographer about a specific expression that you child has that you really want to capture.
Q: Will you provide assistance in planning for the display of my images?
- I’ve got a great program that uses snapshots of your home to help you see what different sizes would look like on your walls. We use images from your session to plan out exactly what images you would put where. You can see exactly what your photos will look like hanging, before you ever hammer a nail into the wall!
Q: How far in advance should I book my session?
- The sooner the better. For regular sessions, certain times of year fill up faster than others, but 4-6 weeks out is a good guideline. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t call if you want something sooner. We may be able to work something out.
- Mini sessions/special events are very limited and you should book as soon as you see info on those.
- If you want event photography (birthday parties, reunions, return from deployment sessions, etc.), contact Kara as soon as possible to check availability.
- Newborn Sessions: Too bad babies don’t always come when we expect them. So I like to tentatively schedule for a couple days after your due date and then adjust as needed.
Q: What if the weather is bad on the date of my session?
- See rescheduling above, but know that I understand that the weather in Western Washington can be wet! But you may be surprised about what I consider bad weather. Clouds or a little drizzle? That makes for great photographic conditions! But if it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate, we will talk the day before about rescheduling options.
QUESTIONS ABOUT SESSIONS
Q: Can my pets be in my photographs?
- Yes, please. Pets are often a big part of a family, so I am thrilled to include them, as long as they don’t have more than 4 legs! 🙂 Worried that your pet won’t cooperate? Ask me about it anyway!
Q: Are wardrobe changes permitted without additional costs?
- Sometimes it is just too hard to decide on one thing to wear, and we all know that kids often NEED a change of clothes!
Q: How long will my session last?
- Most sessions last between 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Mini sessions/special events usually last about 15-30 minutes.
- Newborn sessions are less predictable and I schedule 3 hours, to accommodate for diaper changes, feeding, and blowouts!
Q: Can other people be included in my photos?
- Regular sessions include up to 6 people in your immediate family. (Additional people can be added for $25 per person).
- Seniors are invited to bring a friend along to join in some of the photos.
Q: What if I need to reschedule?
- Because reserving your date potentially requires me to turn away other business during that time, your retainer fee is non-refundable, but can be applied towards a rescheduled session (held within 30 days of originally scheduled session) if you cancel at least 24 hours before your original session. Any subsequent reschedules will incur a $35 fee, provided that the session is still held within the 30 day window of the original session. (Keep in mind that some seasons are busier than others and rescheduling within that 30 day window might be tough!)
- That being said, if you have a child who is sick, contact me ASAP. We’ll plan to reschedule – it’ll be more fun for all of us that way!
- Weather can be an issue sometimes – but we are in Washington! Know that rainy days can make for beautiful images!
Q: What if my child won’t cooperate?
- Relax, and let me worry about that. I’ve worked with hundreds, if not thousands of kids, as a teacher and as a photographer. I’ve taken photos of children who have autism and learning disabilities, kids whose families were suffering from terminal illnesses, and of course kids who have a keen sense of stranger danger. I’ve always managed to get images that the parents love, though they may not be what they were expecting to get. If I can’t do that for you, my guarantee makes sure you are…
- If your child is sick, we will reschedule.
- Sometimes kids just have bad days, but I have captured some amazing “this-is-who-I-am” images when parents are really frustrated by their child’s behavior. Rarely, no matter what we try, we’ll have to reschedule, because we are just not getting it. It doesn’t happen often, but if it does, you don’t have to worry.
Q: Do you do on location work without charging extra?
- Most of the time, yes. On-location photography that is more than a 40 mile round-trip drive from zip code 98375 will incur travel charges.
Q: Can I bring props?
- Of course. Do you play an instrument? Bring it. Love to read? Bring some books. Are you into sports? Let’s take some shots with some of your equipment. Does your toddler have a favorite worn blankie that she won’t part with? That is part of who she is right now, so let’s be sure to have that part of your story in your photos!
AFTER YOUR SESSION QUESTIONS
Q: Can I order more later?
- Yes,with limits. Shortly after your viewing session, you will have access to an online gallery for 3 days. You can share this gallery and purchase prints directly from there. Once the gallery is expired, it will be available for viewing online only with a $50 reactivation fee. This entire fee can be applied to any purchase placed within the 3 days that the gallery is reloaded. Prices for a reactivated gallery will be higher, so you are highly encouraged to order at your viewing session, or within the first 3 days.
- Then, approximately two weeks after you view your images, your files will be moved to an external hard drive. Any images that you ordered will be stored for a minimum of 1 year. Unordered images may be deleted at any time after moving to the archive, in order to keep my files manageable. If you wish to order images that have already been moved, a $25 archival retrieval fee applies to cover the time searching for and reloading images to the computer.
- Please keep in mind that current pricing will also apply to any order, and this may or not be the same as when you first viewed your images.
Q: What if I don’t like my portraits? Do you offer a guarantee?
- Absolutely! I’m certain that you will be thrilled with your photographs, and I will do whatever it takes to make sure you ARE. If you don’t LOVE your images, I will reschedule another session free of charge to make sure you are happy with the images we capture! If you still are not happy, I will refund your money.
Q: How many images will I see?
- Contrary to what you may think, you DO NOT want to see ALL of the photos that are taken. Think about it like this. If you are asked which shirt is your favorite – the blue one or the pink one, it’s not hard to decide. But if you were asked to find your favorite shirt in the entire mall, that’s much more difficult! Your photographer should be obligated to help make your decision making process easier by culling through the images and showing you only the best of the best. As to exactly how many images you will see, there really isn’t a set answer, but in general, mini sessions produce about 10-15 images, families, seniors, and children’s sessions have something in the range of 30-50.
QUESTIONS ABOUT PRODUCTS
Q: Do you offer digital files?
- Yes, but I would much rather GIVE you web-reay digital files than sell you digital negatives. Read more…
Q. Do you accept credit cards?
- Yes, Kara Jovag Photography accepts cash, and checks. Credit cards can be processed via Paypal.
Q: Do you retouch images?
- This is one of the biggest differences between snapshots and professional portraits. Your proofs will have only minor adjustments made. But final printed products are adjusted in detail. Examples of adjustments…dark circles under eyes lightened, zits gone, teeth whitened (but not glowing!)
Q: When will I get my products?
- Most products are delivered in10-14 business days. Some items, like canvases and books can take a bit longer.
Did I miss something? Go to the contact page and ask away!